Story of port office building is a significant component of a historic precinct, which recalls the importance of the Port of Brisbane in the growth of the city during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The building was erected and completed by November 1880, as offices for the Harbourmaster, Pilots and Staff of the Marine Board and Shipping Office. At that time and for many years after, maritime trade with Brisbane resulted in sailing ships and steamers berthing at wharves from Petrie Bight to the Victoria Bridge. The Port Office was the centre of this activity.
The existing building, more recently known as the Harbors and Marine Building, is architecturally significant being an important example of the Colonial Architect, F.D.G. Stanley. The building is of Victorian Classic Revival style and includes details and forms commonly associated with Italianate Palazzo architecture.
The Port Office building is listed by the National Trust of Queensland. To understand the historical aspect of The Port Office building, it is important to see where it stands in Queensland's past.
Brisbane oficially proclaimed as a penal settlement
First Port Office Built
Existing Port Office built
Moo Moo The Wine Bar + Grill oficially opened to the public